This year’s GEAR UP Student Leadership Events will be held August 8-10, 2016 at Western Oregon University. There will be two sessions facilitated by Seeds Training:
- Middle School Session for current 6th and 7th graders. Ford and Cohort. This camp will focus on leadership, communication, motivation, responsibility, goal attainment, relationships, and learning to learn.
- High School Session for current 10th and 11th graders. Ford, Cohort and Priority. This camp is designed to increase academic confidence and motivation, develop skills for working in teams, and heighten personal awareness, as well as cover the college search process, skills for building relationships with college faculty, and effective resumes.
The registration deadline was May 31. Each Cohort and Ford cluster is eligible to register up to 5 students and list up to 5 alternates for each session (10 regular, 10 alternates). Each Priority cluster is eligible to register up to 5 students and 5 alternates for the high school session. If we do not fill the event with the initial registration, students from the alternate lists will be admitted. An optional application form has been included in the event materials; clusters may choose to use the application to assist in their selection process. You do not need to send applications to the GEAR UP office. Each attending student must submit a signed liability waiver.
- Dorm check-in is August 8 from 12:45-1:45 PM, and dorm check-out is August 10 after lunch.
- GEAR UP will provide meals – dinner on day one through lunch on day three – and lodging in the dorms.
- Each attending student must submit a liability waiver signed by a parent/guardian.
- When selecting students, please consider sending students that have not attended Student Leadership Events in the past.
- Students will be in double rooms, chaperones will be in single rooms.
- Schools need to provide chaperones, travel to and from the event (including coordination with students/families so that they are aware of the transportation plans), and a stipend to chaperones, if necessary.
For questions, contact Anne.