GEAR UP Summer Institute for Educators: Secondary to Postsecondary Curriculum Alignment
August 1-4, 2016, Eugene
What is it?
This four-day institute is a professional development opportunity for middle and high school teachers to focus on critical student learning challenges in the Common Core State Standards through collaboration with writing and math faculty from two-year and four-year colleges across the state. Participants will examine and develop instructional solutions that improve the college readiness of secondary-level students. Participants will receive a $600 stipend from Oregon GEAR UP.
What are the outcomes and benefits?
English Language Arts
- Increase understanding of the expectations for source-based argument writing across secondary and postsecondary systems
- Learn instructional strategies to support students in conducting academic research (including online research) and effectively using evidence from identified sources
- Increase understanding of the expectations for mathematics across secondary and postsecondary systems
- Increase knowledge of how writing and verbal argumentation can improve student success and deepen student understanding of mathematical concepts
- Learn instructional strategies and approaches to integrate problem-solving into your curriculum
Who should participate?
GEAR UP secondary English Language Arts and mathematics teachers, ideally in departments or teams
- Date/Time: August 1-4, 2016 (August 1-3, 8:30-3:30; Aug 4, 8:30-12:00)
- Place: Valley River Inn, Eugene, OR
- Lodging from Sunday to Wednesday is covered by GEAR UP.
- Breakfast and lunch are provided.
- Download the flyer or a draft agenda.